Yes, Jesus knew what was coming; and
to prepare himself for what was about to happen, he went to a place called Gethsemane, accompanied by his disciples.
You might wonder how he prepared himself for the trial that was about to come. Very simply put....HE PRAYED.
36. Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to the disciples, "Sit here while I go and pray over there."
37. And He took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and He began to be sorrowful and deeply distressed.
38. Then He said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with me."
39. He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will."
40. Then He came to the disciples and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, "What! Could you not watch with Me one hour?
41. Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."
42. Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done."
43. And He came and found them asleep again, for their eyes were heavy.
44. So He left them, went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.
45. Then He came to His disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners."
46. "Rise, let us be going. See, My betrayer is at hand."
Of course, we know the rest of the story. Judas, one of his own, gave Jesus the kiss of death, so to speak. The soldiers took Him and arrested Him. He died after being beaten, spit on, mocked, made to carry His own cross upon which He was finally nailed. He was buried in a tomb that belonged to a man named Joseph, (of Arimathea). Guards were posted at the grave site because of His claims to be raised up after three days. They were afraid His disciples would steal the body, and then say He had risen.
A sad ending for a man that did nothing but love and heal people.
But why did He do this? Why did He allow Himself to be tortured and die such a horrible death? Why, when He could have stopped it at any time?
He did it because of LOVE. What a simple explanation, but what a great sacrifice! He died for our sins. He paid the price so we wouldn't have to. He took our place so that now, if we believe that He is the Son of God, if we accept this sacrifice and claim Him as our Lord and Savior, we can one day have eternal life, and be with Him forever.
But wait!.....This isn't the end.....no! This is just the BEGINNING!